BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Ben Goodman of the Missouri track & field team and Sharli Brady of the Tiger swimming & diving team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Missouri.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2018 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 26.
Highlights of Missouri's nominees include:
BEN GOODMAN, Track & Field, Missouri
Major: Sport Management
- Nine-time Dean's List honoree
- Six-time SEC Academic Honor Roll member
- Completed internship with the Athletic Department, working in the event management and academic offices
- Volunteered around the community at Smart Training for Faster Running Cross Country Running Camp, Smithton Middle School Mentoring program and Mizzou Made spirit week
- All-SEC Selection, 2015
- Ran a leg in Mizzou's DMR team that finished third at the 2015 SEC Indoor Track & Field Championships (9:46.65)
- No. 6 all-time in program history in the Indoor DMR (9:46.65)
- Has ran in seven SEC meets, finishing as high 15th in the 800m run at the 2017 SEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- Placed first in the mile run (4:26.26) at the 2017 Missouri Holiday Opener
- Four-year letter winner, 2014-17
- Two-time team captain, 2016-17 & 2017-18
- Four-time All-State honoree at Palmer High School (400m, 800m)
SHARLI BRADY, Swimming & Diving, Missouri
Major: Communication Science & Disorders
- Three-time SEC Winter Academic Honor Roll, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Dean's List, 2015, 2016, 2017
- College Swimming Coaches Association of America Scholar All-American, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Team captain, 2017-18
- Concluded her Missouri career as a 10-time All-American
- Claimed two individual All-America first team honors in the 400 IM
- Earned six individual All-America honorable mentions accolades in her career
- The most decorated women's individual All-American in program history with eight honors
- Holds Missouri's school records in the 200 fly, 200 IM and 400 IM
- Won the 2017 U.S. Open 400 IM national title
- Member of Mizzou's Tiger Leadership Institute and the Student Athlete Advisory Committee
- Spent time as a student clinician working with an English Language Learner from China and two children with delayed speech
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were University of Alabama swimmer Anton McKee and Texas A&M University swimmer Sarah Gibson.