BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Justin Morey of the Texas A&M swimming & diving team and Eva Paalma of the Aggie women's tennis team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Texas A&M University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2018 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 26.
Highlights of Texas A&M's nominees include:
Justin Morey, Men's Swimming & Diving, Texas A&M
Major: Biomedical Sciences
- Two-time honorable mention Scholar All-American by the College Swim Coaches Association of America (CSCAA)
- Four-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Named to Texas A&M Athletics Director Honor Roll eight consecutive semesters
- Named to the Dean's List and earned Distinguished Student honors at Texas A&M University
- Named Reader of the Week by the 2nd and 7 Foundation in 2017
- Nominated for SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year for men's swimming & diving
- Earned his undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences (minor in Business) with a 3.56 GPA
- Has compiled over 100 hours of shadowing experience with dentists, orthodontists, pediatric dentists and dental surgeons.
- Swimming and diving team's representative on the Texas A&M Student-Athlete Advisory Committee the last four semesters
- Has volunteered over 60 hours of community service while at Texas A&M with the Brazos Valley Food Bank, Aggies Read, Special Olympics, Twin City Mission, Habitat for Humanity, The Big Event, Hurricane Harvey Relief and Aggies CAN
- Three-time member of the Aggies' SEC Championship roster
- Earned at least one NCAA qualifying standard in three of four seasons at Texas A&M
EVA PAALMA, Women's Tennis, Texas A&M
- Sports a 3.944 GPA and will receive a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in marketing in May 2018
- Has been admitted into Texas A&M's prestigious Mays Business School master's program in marketing
- Named ITA Scholar Athlete and named to SEC Academic Honor Roll every year of her career
- Helped Texas A&M women's tennis team attain a top-20 final team ranking each of her first three seasons and reach NCAA Championship Round of 16 in two of last three years
- NCAA Doubles Championship selection with partner Rachel Pierson, 2015
- No. 15 final national doubles ranking with Rachel Pierson in 2015 was a then-school record high for a final doubles ranking
- Named SEC Player of the Week on January 27, 2016
- Has played the majority of her career at the No. 1 doubles line and has seen action at Nos. 3-6 in singles
- Tennis team's representative on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Involved in numerous volunteer activities and is a two-time member of the SEC Community Service Team Is a co-founder and the CEO of We^3, the first women's leadership organization at Texas A&M for female student-athletes, designed to encourage, equip, empower and unify female student-athletes at Texas A&M through mentorship and professional development opportunities outside of sports
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were University of Alabama swimmer Anton McKee and Texas A&M University swimmer Sarah Gibson.